8/12/2014 in Drupal by micah
There are a lot of examples on creating custom Drupal entities and adding support so they can be used in Views. I covered the basics in my own DrupalCamp Michigan 2013 presentation on custom entities and web services. But as is often the case, there are no examples that show all of the pieces when you have complexities like referenced entities or multiple tables. I just spent two afternoons tearing my hair out, so it's time to stop, drop, and blog before I forget how I did it and can't figure out out again next time.
6/26/2014 in Drupal by micah
Ever since I started using Git version control to manage projects, I've struggled to find the best way to use it for managing complete Drupal projects. From day one, it has worked out well enough for me for managing custom modules and themes, HTML or Classic ASP projects, and even Linux server /etc directories, but I never quite new what to do with Drupal deployments. I use drush to manage Drupal code, and of course I don't use proscribed methods for doing that, either. I finally landed upon a solution, and while this may not be the best (or recommended) method, it does work for me.
12/23/2013 in Drupal by micah
Ever since migrating to Drupal 7, I've been unable to find a way to collapse the text format tips below a text area. On content types with many text fields, this can be really annoying. It was fairly simple to do this in Drupal 6, but the best I could do in Drupal 7 was hide the tips completely, which isn't really great for users that need them. Until now.
11/22/2013 in Drupal by micah
Ever since we switched to using Aegir to manage Drupal deployment, it's gotten a lot more difficult to keep track of which platform each site is running on. This little implementation of hook_requirements() displays the site's host name and Drupal directory in the status report.
10/11/2013 in Drupal by micah
Henry Ford College's Drupal-based curriculum management system utilizes data extracted from the ERP system (aka HANK) as custom entities to promote data standards, simplify user workflows and reduce data entry redundancies. Drupal content on the curriculum management website is then shared with HFC's public-facing websites using the Services module.
I could give a detailed overview of this web project in about 10 minutes. I could easily talk about it for four hours, maybe even double that.
I have 40 minutes.
So we are going to go really fast and highlight all of the things I had to get working together to make this project happen. Along the way, I'll include code examples and links to the blog posts that I read to figure this stuff out.
3/24/2013 in Drupal by micah
All in all, by the time I was done being sick, I'd missed almost a week of my blogrimage.
That's right. I didn't even touch a computer for four days, so I definitely skipped out on my blogrimage by being sick. This really hasn't worked out as planned.
But I did make some progress tonight. I submitted a patch against the Drush bug I filed back on day 6 or so.
3/19/2013 in Drupal by micah
I'm not sure how I missed two days. I thought I posted something on Saturday, but I guess not.
tl;dr: I time on Saturday building a test web server, did church audio stuff on Sunday afternoon, and did some configuration work on blogrimage.tv tonight, so there's not much to report on my Drupal 8 blogrimage project.
3/15/2013 in Drupal by micah
When I checked the site today, I realized that all but one of the photos I'd attached to the Summer Vacation story were missing. Not sure what went wrong, but I uploaded and saved them again. Hopefully they'll stay in place this time!
3/14/2013 in Drupal by micah
Some days you get a lot done. Some days you go out to lunch with the guys and are a little unfocused when you get back. Well, that's kind of what happened, but today was actually a pretty productive day. Worked through a site upgrade this morning, then got sucked into reading a week's worth of Drupal news (courtesy of The Weekly Drop) and learning a whole bunch of useful stuff after lunch, then digging back into the rest of that upgrade. So no work on other projects today.
3/13/2013 in Drupal by micah
Today's blogrimage exercise was to try to make the site look a little bit nicer. This is by no means a final theme, which is why I named it Threadbare. The name Threadbare is a pun; it's based on the core Stark theme and incorporates the "fabric" of The Green Bag in its background image.